If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

FO: Kittyhawk Cowl

I have only T's Winter Is Coming Scarf to finish for Christmas. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to make it. I have only tonight, Monday, and Tuesday to knit and I just don't think it's going to be finished. Sunday and Wednesday are out because T and I will be together all day both days. (And I will have to wrap gifts and go to the grocery store somewhere in that time frame, too.)

I decided that, since I can't finish his scarf in front of him, I would just finish a couple of things that are sitting here on the side table waiting to be finished.

Here is the Kittyhawk Cowl that I started back in September. I actually knit this pretty quickly, but left it languishing unfinished because of the grafting. Seriously, I hate Provisional Past On and I had such a bad time with this one that I just put it to the side and didn't come back to it until today.

I used Kitchener Stitch to graft the two halves together. Frankly, I've always had a love/hate relationship with Kitchener Stitch. It's a fantastic way of grafting two pieces together to look seamless. But I always seem to mess it up at least once before I get it right. And I'm not sure why. It's simple enough. But somehow I always end up with an extra stitch at the end.

Not this time, though. This time it was a success. Still, I think if I knit this pattern again, I would probably just cast on normally and then seam it with mattress stitch. Much easier. Probably much less swearing involved.

I would also knit this longer before seaming. Of course, I didn't have that choice with this cowl, since I used a mystery yarn that I got at Michael's a while back. It's really pretty and really soft, but I have no idea what it is. It's worsted weight, so I just needed to step down two needle sizes from the pattern to a size 8 to get guage.

(This is not uneven, btw. I just seem to not be able to take a decent photo lately. T says I must be tilting the phone when I take a picture, but I don't know. Anyway, it's perfectly straight in real life.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter