If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, December 28, 2007

What's The Best Cast On For A Rib Knit Hat?

I'm only asking because I've ripped this thing out a couple of times already.

I'm making a hat for a friend's Christmas present. Oh, hush. I won't even see him until tomorrow, anyway. So, I didn't finish it in time. So what? He won't care, anyway. He will just be happy to join the Knitted Friends Club.

I'm kind of making this up as I go. It's going to be a 2 X 2 rib hat, in LB Wool-Ease Chunky (Charcoal), with a thin border of some random burgundy yarn I have lost the label from. I might put a burgundy stripe in there somewhere, too. Who knows?

I'm crazy like that.

But I keep ripping it out because it's just not looking right. I tried a straight up cast on, but then the rib made it look funny. And then I tried a ribbed cast on, but that looked funny, too. I tried a knitted-on cast on, but didn't like it. I think I will try a cabled cast on. Will that make it too tight? We'll see.

My other problem is



Yes. It's Zeus. He doesn't like that I am not paying attention to him--knitting and blogging. Now, you see? He is ignoring me. To punish me for knitting and blogging.


But, back to Christmas knitting.

I did a qaujillion scarves this year and gave them to pretty much everyone. I think everyone liked them, too. Of course, I didn't take pix of all of them. That would've been nice. Some of them turned out especially nice--like the beaded lace scarf for Jill.


Made R a nice hat in a navy blue wool. Made a matching scarf, with an embossed diamond pattern on it. Needs to be blocked, though. Damn wool. Always needs to be blocked, doesn't it?



Made M a pretty Noro scarf. Straight Stockingette Stitch, with some Garter Stitch borders that I thought would keep it from rolling. But they don't. Rolls like a mofo. Even after blocking.



Maybe I just suck at blocking?


Christmas was good for me this year. R got a really nice camera for T & I. M made some awesome ceramic cups and a vase. And she got me a purse with a light that comes on inside when you open it. (How awesome is that?)

T did not repeat last year's Box O' Yarn (probably because I still have a lot of it left and he doesn't want to have to buy YET ANOTHER storage chest for yarn). Instead, he gave me some yarns that I have been wanting to try, but haven't yet. Like bamboo, soy, organic cotton.


Here's the bamboo. Bernat Bamboo, one of their "natural blends." The color is awesome. It's called Dill, and it looks sort of grey, sort of green. It's super soft. I started the scarf from the label the other night and I've just been working on it while I watch Sasuke/Ninja Warrior. This one will be for me.

I also got Son Of Stitch n Bitch, One Skein, and the Pattern A Day Calendar. So, I've got plenty to do this year, as long as I find the time.

Oh, and before you ask... No, I did not finish Chaos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter