If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

And Here Is The Hat

This went pretty quickly. (Once I got over that whole casting-on thing.)

Here it is, modeled by Not Patwoman.


I decided to go with the cable cast on, which I don't usually use, but it does make a really nice edge for a hat, I must say. The pattern is pretty simple.

Jon's Hat

1 Skein LB WoolEase Chunky in Charcoal (I used about 1/2 of that.)
A few yards of contrasting color (I used some burgundy worsted weight that I doubled. I think it was probably Caron Simply Soft.)
Guage: 13st = 4" (I used size 10 dpns, but I am a loose knitter. You might want to go up a size or two.)

With Contrasting Color, cast on 68 st, using a cabled cast on. Join, without twisting stitches.
Work one row in Knit 2, Purl 2 using Contrasting Color.
Attach Main Color and contine K2P2 rib pattern until piece is 6 1/2 inches long.
Work Decrease Row: *Knit 2 together, Purl 2 together repeat from * (34 st remain)
Next row: Knit
Next row: Knit 2 together across. (17 St remain)
Next row: Knit
Next row: Knit 2 together across. End with Knit 1 st. (9 st)
Cut yarn, leaving a 6" tail. Thread through remaining 9 stitches and pull tight. Secure on inside of hat and weave in all ends.

This made a nice beanie-shaped hat, because it is tight-fitting. It will look small. Looks like a child's hat when you take it off the needles. But, as you can see, modeled on Not Patwoman, it is an adult sized hat. Maybe even a little big for Not Patwoman. But I had R try it on and it fits him perfectly. So I think it will fit Jon just fine.

I think I will do a couple more of these for my guys. That K2P2 rib is pretty manly-man, if you ask me.

Speaking of manly knits, I was perusing my new Son Of SnB book and there are several things I'd like to knit for myself. Like the black hat with the red skulls on it.

Yeah, you heard me. I'm a bad ass middle aged suburban mother of grown children!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter