If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Happy Anniversary

Thirty-one years ago today, T and I got married. We did not have any major plans for today. In fact, we had both planned on working. However, R showed up this morning and said he was going to run the store so we could have the day off. 

I know what you're thinking. And you're absolutely right. He's very thoughtful and his mom taught him right. 

Anyway, we thought we might go down to Brown County and do some hiking. But then, the sky opened up and the deluge began. Seriously. It rained two inches in about half an hour. And then it rained some more. The little pond in front of the elementary school near our house (And seriously, why would you put a pond in front of an elementary school, where the little kids go? It's less than 30 feet from the front door. Seems dangerous.) was swollen to the point that the water was level with the road and with the sidewalk to the school. And all the runoff ditches were filled, pretty much everywhere.

Ok, wait. I want to go back to this pond/school thing. It bothers me. My kids both went to elementary school there. (A long time ago.) Last summer, the school expanded. They added a wing and got rid of the parking lot that was between the front door and the road. They added a small retention pond where the tree lawn was (the patch of grass between the parking lot and the road that the school's message board sign is on). It's not a big pond. If you drove off the road and into it, you'd probably survive it. But a K-5th grader who fell in? I just don't think that's safe.

I also don't understand why there is a pond there. There was never any problem with water run off or flooding. In fact, the school is at the top of a small hill. That pond has to be a design feature. An unsafe design feature.

Anyway. The pond thing bothers me. 

But, at any rate, there was just so much rain that we decided maybe hiking was not in the cards for the day. So, instead, we went to lunch (tacos!) and then home to watch shark shows on Shark Week. 

I know. That is the wild, crazy, glamorous life we lead. Still, it was nice to have the day off and to just spend time together. We purposely avoided talking about business or about any of the day-to-day stressors that tend to monopolize most of our time these days.

Instead, we discussed where we would make our "home base" in an zombie apocalypse, what insane extenuating circumstances would entice us to get into a shark cage in the water, whether yoga pants should be worn outside of yoga class, and whether Jared Leto is going to suck as the Joker.

It was a fun day, really. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter