If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

On Travel

I have not had a vacation in 6 years. I found this little widget on someone's profile page and thought it would be cool to track all the states I've visited.

visited 32 states (64%)
Create your own visited map of The United States

It's pretty impressive, right? Sadly, most of this travel took place when I was a kid. My grandma lived in Merced, California, and for about 4 or 5 years, we woud travel to visit her in the summer. After that, they moved to Indiana and then to Ohio, so there was no more need to travel like that.

One year, we did take a plane. It was shortly after DB Cooper and maybe shortly after the airports added minimum safety features like a bag x-ray. I remember how mad people were that their bags were being x-rayed. They worried about getting radiation on their clothes. They worried that the security people would see their underwear. But mostly they hated the time they spent waiting in line. Apparently, before that point, you could just walk up and get on the plane. No wonder there were so many hijackings.

Anyway, I was a child and very worried about flying. There were a lot of DC10 crashes that year, too. That contributed to my fear. I white knuckled the whole flight. I'd like to say we didn't fly after that because I was so terrified, but I think it was because it was just cheaper to drive. My dad was self-employed at the time, so he could spare the time to drive across the country and back more than he could spare the money for four plane tickets.

So most of our cross-country trips were in the car. You get to see a lot of the country when you drive through it. In order to make it educational for my brother and me, my mom mapped out different routes each time. So we might go across the northern states on the way out and then the southern states on the way back. And maybe next time we would go right through the center of the country.

I remember I used to pick up some rocks in each state, and some plants if I could get them, to remember the trip. I think, a few times, those plants were thrown away by the California border checkers. But I did have several cacti that I got on these trips that I had for years--one even went to college with me. I don't know what happened to the rocks. I imagine I must have thrown them out at some point. Too bad. I'd like to see them now.

The southeastern states are states I visited as an adult. I also visited some of the western states as an adult, too I guess. We've vacationed in California, Nevada, Michigan, Illinois, and Missouri. And my brother used to live in Oklahoma for a while. And, then of course, I've had various business meetings in Missouri, Iowa, Tennessee, Illinois, and Kentucky.

I haven't been to the northeast or the far northwest. That would be interesting, I think. I'd like to see the Cascade Mountains, Niagra Falls, and all the historic places in the colony states. Maybe some day. Hawaii and Alaska are probably out of the question, due to the aforementioned fear of flying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter