If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Turned That Square

Here is another Christmas gift, modelled by R. It’s the Turn A Square Hat.

I had so many problems with this hat, I almost don’t even want to talk about it. First, my gauge was off. You know I am a loose knitter, so I usually automatically start with needles 2 sizes smaller. And I did swatch a bit. I swatched on straight needles. Then I started knitting with circulars.

Yeah. You know what happened. I knit about an inch and a half and then realized that no human head is that size. Frog.

So, up a size on circulars. Because I was tired and did the math wrong. Way too big. Frog.

So, down a size. (For a total of 3 needle sizes.) Now I’m good.

If you’ve seen this pattern, you know that it calls for a MC yarn in a solid and a CC in a variegated. But my MC was a flecky-grey, and I really liked the dark and light stripes in the pattern picture. So I used a white yarn and a black yarn for my stripes.

Which gives you a lot of ends to weave in. Remember that for future projects.

The pattern itself is an easy one. I used stitch markers, but I probably didn’t even have to, since the pattern makes the decreases pretty obvious.
This is Moda Dea Wool n Silk in Pewter. I used less than one skein. The stripes are Lion Wool in Black and Cream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter