If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kindle Sweater And Other Random Thoughts

I have been told that I have not been posting enough lately. (Thanks, Adam. I will get right on that.) And it’s true. I haven’t. Not because I don’t love each and every one of you in a totally platonic and non-creepy sort of way, but because I just haven’t done anything exciting. In the last three weeks, I have nearly severed my finger (okay, not so much nearly severed as cut the shit out of it, but it hurt, trust me), fallen down in the cafeteria at work, and flashed strangers my underwear twice. That’s really not that interesting.

And I have been seriously frustrated with knitting. I started this and it was looking really fantabuloso. But you know, that’s not a pattern you can knit without looking. Found that out the hard way. It’s really not even a pattern you can easily frog back and reknit once you realize how badly you’ve fucked the thing up gotten off track.

And I started this, which I mentioned here before. Love love love the color. And you know the pattern is so simple you can watch Supernatural and Prison Break (which is on SiTv, now, gracias!) and anything you want and never miss a muscle flex or a stitch. But, what you have to do is make sure you are knitting the correct size first. Found that out the hard way, too.

I got the body done and was ready to do sleeves when it first occurred to me to try it on. And, of course, it would only fit me with the help of a time machine (run by Richard Simmons.) It would fit M, but she is not crazy about it. Love it when people try not to hurt your feelings, too. "I think it’s great, but it really would look better on you." Really? Even with that six inch gap in front? "Well, you could add some… uh… long button loops. Or a belt. That would look really good."

Can you hear the frog pond calling?

Seriously. I was getting ready to cast on for a garter stitch scarf. On #13 needles. You know, when in doubt, go back to the basics. And I needed a success.

But then, I decided to do this. A sweater for my Kindle. Did I tell you how much I love my Kindle? (Not in a dirty way. Get your mind out of the gutter. What Kindle and I have is special.) I have not been carrying My Precious around lately because the purse I am using now has no pockets and I worry about it getting bashed up. I had planned to knit and felt a cozy for My Precious, but (see above).

Anyway, this is a simple pattern. Knit mostly in the round, with paired decreases. It’s a test of faith, really, because you start off with a weird ring of stitches and some flaps and you just have to trust that the pattern will give you this pocket shape. But it worked beautifully and I’m happy with the result. Knit from some scraps (like .25 of a skein) of Berella 4 in Black and Bernat Satin in Wine Mist Heather.

You can see that the pattern calls for the opening to be on the side, while my button is on top. Now, you may think this is a mistake, like I wasn’t paying attention and just seamed the wrong opening while watching SiTv. But I’m really just sending a message to The Man, here: Rules are meant to be broken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter