If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

FO: Big Ribs

Or, as I like to call it, Giant Bulletproof Hat.

I've made this hat before, did I mention? Several times. It used to be my go-to hat pattern. The one I would use to whip out a hat during the course of a movie. I just haven't made it in a while.

I guess I forgot exactly how I did it before. But, now that I am thinking about it, I think I only ever used 2 strands of yarn at once and went down a needle size or two on the first couple of rows. Because, as I remember, those hats were perfect fits for an average guy's head.

This one turned out a little large.

Also, I really tried to give this an ombre look, going from dark to light. But, I really don't see a whole lot of difference in the (2 dark + 1 light) section and the (2 light + 1 dark section) section. And I definitely don't see a difference in the (2 light + 1 dark) and the (3 light) sections.

And then I ran out of the Taupe Mist yarn.

So the top portion is 3 strands of Coffee. Finally, a difference! But then, I screwed up the decreases somehow. I don't know how. But then I just decreased evenly and drew the final 8 stitches up to fasten off.

You can see from the pictures this hat is pretty big. And three strands of yarn makes it really thick. Like, bulletproof thick. I was worried that it was going to have to become an ugly purse or something. But, luckily, T has a pretty big head. (To encase his large brain, of course.) So, when he tried it on, it fit perfectly. And he likes a warm hat.

And it doesn't look nearly as ugly on his head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter