If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Solving The Eco Problems, But At What Cost?

I ran across this article the other day. The idea is, since kanagroos and feral camels are basically wrecking Australia’s ecosystem because of their numbers, and because cattle and sheep are wrecking the ecosystem because of their methane farts, the solution to both problems is to stop raising and eating cattle and sheep and start raising and eating kangaroos and camels (who apparently fart less).

This seems pretty practical. Only, I keep thinking of all the kangaroos I’ve known. Like this one, probably the first one I can remember:

A fun-loving free spirit who really just wanted to get back to his mom in the travelling circus. He had some adventures with a father-son cat team and made me really want a pet kangaroo.


And this one. I didn’t see this movie (hello, it was a movie about thieves foiled by a wild animal) but I just like the idea of a cocky Aussie ‘Roo who doesn’t take crap from anybody!


And this one, probably the most famous of all marsupials.


I just don’t know if I could eat a kangaroo. Likewise, a camel. But for a very different reason.

You all know about my secret addiction to Bear Grylls, right? Y’ever see that episode where he cuts open a dead camel and drinks the water stored in the… uh…cud (?) in the camel’s stomach? And Bear Grylls—whose pattern, as far as I can tell, is 1) land in some horrible place 2)find the grossest thing he can find and then eat it—nearly vomits at the smell of the dead camel. And keep in mind Bear bites the heads off snakes and eats them raw. He crunches raw grubs between his teeth regularly.

And camel makes him gag. Think about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter