If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, March 05, 2009

On Planning Ahead, Keeping Secrets, and Blogging

Every year I say I’m not going to do any Christmas knitting. But then I always do. It’s because of the conflicting feedback I get from recipients, I guess.

Some of it is really negative. Like, my MIL putting my afghan in a garage sale. For $1. Or my own dad telling me “I don’t want this.” Or just the not-even-saying-thanks attitude that some people get, because you made something. You know, like it’s not a real gift. Or you cheaped out on them or something. (Because they’ve obviously never been yarn shopping…)

And then you get the good responses. Like my bro’s excitement over the afghan I knitted for him. Or M’s requests for items. Or Jill’s “I love it when you knit for me.”

So, you know I’m going to do it. I just decided, might as well get started now, instead of waiting until November, like always. So I made a list. And I joined a Christmas Knitting group on Ravelry. (I actually joined last year, but you know how I am. I didn’t start until November.)

Planning ahead.

Do I worry about those people on my Christmas list reading this blog and spoiling the surprise? Not really. I know some people are reading me, because I can see the counter going up every day. But it’s not my family or local friends.

How do I know? Well, every now and then someone will say something like “Oh, did you see that article about the robots in Japan? You should write about that on your blog.” And I’m like, “Uh, I wrote about 10 posts about that over the last 6 weeks.” Or someone will say “Adam West is your favorite celebrity? Who’s Adam West?”

Sometimes, they try to make me feel better about it by saying “Oh, I’ve been so busy, I haven’t read your blog in a few days. I need to catch up.” Cricket. Cricket. Blink. Blink. If you’ve ever read my blog, you know who Adam West is.

Yeah, okay. Whatever. I guess it’s okay that blood relatives and the friends that I see in person don’t read my blog. And you know R & M stopped reading Mommy’s blog right after the first penis reference. (So, luckily, they’ve missed the whole Batman/Patwoman fantasy.)

It’s okay, because I have all of you. (You know who you are.) And you like to hear about stuff like shirtless men and robots and phalluses and space travel and Adam West, don’t you? Sometimes all in the same posting, even!

Anyway, the point of all of that is, I’m not worried about spoiling any Christmas surprises by blogging about it. In fact, I’ll let you in on the fact that I have already knitted cup cozies for my coworkers and I am in the process of knitting a cabletastic purse for M. (Because I am frustrated all to hell with the baby sweater.) I will show you the other stuff as I finish.

It will be our secret. Right, Adam?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter