If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Stuff Of Dreams

I’m fascinated by dreams. Particularly my own. But if you’ve dreamt about someone showing up nude somewhere or being attacked by sharks or witnessing an alien invasion, yeah. I want to hear about that. I can always do with a good story.

I often dream of coming across a room in my house I’ve forgotten about. I’ve read that has to do with thoughts/aspirations you’ve set aside. That makes sense. Except that the room I always come across is either a bathroom or a sub-sub-basement. So I’m guessing those are not the best of thoughts and probably better off forgotten.

And water. Water is a stress symbol in my dreams, I think. Even when the water is calm and blue I think about what things are hiding, just under the surface. Amusement parks are often featured in my dreams, too. That seems like it might symbolize fun. But, sometimes the amusement parks are partially underwater or the roller coasters might go under water for a portion of the track.

Strangely, flying (in a plane… I’m sure I’ve never had the Superman-style flying sort of dream) does not frighten me in my dreams the way it does in real life. And, driving does not stress me the way it does in real life. However, fighting zombies is scary, either way.

Yeah, I’m still occasionally having that recurring dream where I’m part of a reality TV show, fighting zombies in an arena. (The scary part of that is the reality TV show part, by the way. You know that’s coming.)

Last night, I dreamed I was cooking. I stood before one of those large, restaurant-style grills, with one of those restaurant-style spatulas in my hand and I made a brilliant omelet, steamed-then-grilled ravioli with three colors of grilled peppers, a reuben sandwich, and a steak—which I brushed with melted butter after turning.

Was this wish fulfillment of a sort? I made all these things perfectly and effortlessly, and with not a small amount of art, the way I would love to do everything. Was it simple brain detoxing/decompressing at the end of the day? I did have corned beef the other day. I did buy peppers and ravioli at Meijer. I do seriously want to eat red meat more than the mere once a week that I do. Or was I just hungry?

Nah. Witness my past dreams. You know how it goes. The next person to order food in my dream ordered Cheerios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter