If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Few Of My Favorite Christmas Ornaments

I love the way my tree has a million different ornaments on it. Each one of them holds some memory for me. I actually have ornaments from the very first Christmas tree T and I had as a married couple. They're a little worn and some of them have the tops glued on now, but they're on there.

Here are some of my favorite Christmas ornaments. You'll have to excuse the poor lighting in these pictures. Apparently I need a flash. (I don't want you to think I live in a cave. There's actually plenty of light for the naked eye. Just not for the camera, I guess.)

This is one of a couple of lace snowflakes/stars I knitted myself. I have a couple of crocheted snowflakes that were made by Tim's grandma Oma and by my mom, but they have gotten yellowed over the years and look especially bad this year. I decided to try and see if I could wash them carefully and re-stiffen them with something that wouldn't yellow. Any thoughts?

I also knitted these. Very easy pattern. I posted about them when I made them a couple of years ago. I will try and dig up that pattern in the next couple of days.


These two are also handmade by Oma. Embroidery and cross stitch. Oma was a multi-crafter. She knitted, crocheted, sewed, quilted, did woodwork... I'm not sure if there was anything she didn't at least try.

Of course, I have ornaments made by R--including this one.

This is one M made in grade school.

And these are some M and I made together a few years ago:

Here are some that I bought at craft shows, too. I thought this angel, made from beads and lace was really clever. And surprisingly difficult. I tried to copy this, but the face ended up looking deformed, alien, or downright deranged in all my attempts.

Grandma Mouse:

Beaded snowflake, beaded chandelier, and beaded star:


I'm pretty sure there is another box of ornaments still in the garage, because there are some I am missing. Like M's tea-dyed stocking and R's glittery pine cone. But, you know, after you put so many ornaments on the tree people start saying things like "Mom, enough." and "Aren't we done yet?" and "Holy crap! What do you mean there are more?"



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter