If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

It's Christmas Everywhere

You know, I really am missing at least a box of Christmas ornaments and another box filled with household decorations. Sigh. They are somewhere in that mass of boxes in the garage, I suspect.

I'd pretty much decided not to put out the Christmas stuffies anyway. You know, when your kids are little and it's Christmas, everyone gets them some sort of themed Christmas stuffed animal. We have polar bears, cats, dogs, and moose in Santa hats; geese, bears, cats, dogs, and dinosaurs with scarves and hats on; stuffed trees, bells, ornaments, snowmen, and Santas.

As the kids got older, or bored with them, I put them away with the Christmas decorations. Then when we put up the tree, I put a bunch of stuffed toys under the tree. It looked really great! I also used to line the hall with them, put them on the couch, or in odd places to be spotted.

Last year, however, Achilles took a disliking to them. He eyed them suspiciously every time he passed one. Eventually, he just started slapping them until they were face down.

So I don't mind not having those, I guess.

I do mind not having the box with the stocking hangers in it. Here are the stockings I made for the family, draped over the back of the couch.


Oh, and take a look at this...

I found this ceramic tree at Goodwill a few weeks back for a couple of dollars.

When T and I were first married, my mom gave us a tree like this for our first Christmas. It had little plastic ornaments in holes so that a light placed inside the tree will shine through and light up the ornaments. Well, apparently we lost that tree in one of our moves. So when I found this one at Goodwill, I snapped it up.

It reminds me of Mom.

Oh, wait a minute... What did I title this post? It's Christmas Everywhere? Ok. This is me getting to the point. Ha!

As we were putting up the tree this year, there were several ornaments that were missing their tops. Now, I'm pretty sure I didn't put away ornaments without tops, but the tops were not in the boxes. What the...?



Ever resourceful, I put them all in a glass salad bowl (with an embossed leaf and fruit pattern on it--bonus!) and buried a string of clear lights in it. Then I put this in the hall bathroom. It looks great on its own, but in the dark, it provides a guiding night light for guests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter