If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Back To My Old Tricks

Sometimes you just can't get something. Know what I mean? It doesn't happen often to me, but sometimes I just can not wrap my head around something.

That's the case with this invisible cast on, apparently. I'm just not getting it.

So, I've decided that maybe old dogs actually can't learn new tricks (at least not this one, right now) and I will have to go back to my old cast on trick--which is just casting on both strands at once.

It's okay. It looks fine. Casting on with two colors gives it a twisted two-color effect on the edge. It looks fine. I'll just pretend that was the plan in the first place. No one will notice but me, anyway. (Or, I guess knitting snobs might notice. But I tend to avoid them anyway.)

And now I'm able to work on the body of the scarf. So that's a good thing. Double knitting goes pretty quickly, once you get the hang of it. I usually hold both strands in my hand, the front yarn over my thumb and the back yarn over my index finger. Then, the whole deal is just a matter of tipping my hand back and forth over the right needle. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty rhythmic and you can really knit quickly. (Of course, each row is actually 2 rows, so you're still going half as fast as you feel you are.)

This is about 6 rows (or 12 rows, depending on how you look at it). I'm hoping to get through the Dire Wolf Head part of the chart the next time I pick this up.

And, maybe later, when I've had time to dump all this frustration out of my brain, I will go back to the invisible cast on and try again to learn it. Because 1) I'm always up for learning new stuff and 2) I don't accept that whole old dogs/new tricks thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter