If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, February 19, 2016

Hooray For Scientific Progress

I think it's really cool when science finds a way to solve a previously unsolvable problem. Like any of several infectious diseases or genetic abnormalities, for example. Or like the fact that doctors are able to peform surgery in utero. Or that we are able to make skin cells. It's fascinating, really.

Well, there's been a lot of talk about solving the aging and death problem, too. Like, if we assume that most of the causes of death have to do with abnormal cells being replicated--not just in diseases like cancer, but in the aging process itself--and we can somehow stop the faulty cells from being replicated and only have the best cells replicated--those that have not picked up the bad aging habits, I guess--then you can effectively stop the aging process.

Humans would live forever. (Barring accidents, murder, and suicide.)

Sure, there are a lot of things that have to fall into place before we get to that point--genetic mapping, regenerative gene therapy, drugs, vaccines, etc. And there are a lot of societal issues to work out. For example, if a person lives (basically) forever, how does that change the instition of marriage?

And, of course, anyone who has seen a science fiction movie knows it's probably not going to turn out well anyway.

But I choose to look on the bright side. If my life expectancy becomes unlimited, then SABLE (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy) becomes a thing of the past and I can continue to purchase as much yarn as my little heart desires!

Yay science!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter