If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

People Need To Learn 5th Grade Math

One of the things that really bugs me about working with the general public is the fact that so many people just have no concept how math works. I see this every time there is a coupon issued.

Now, I'm not talking about how people who have never worked retail don't know how individual retail store policies work. That's okay. Different stores have different policies and if you don't work there or shop there regularly, it's hard to keep it straight. I get that.

What I'm talking about is simple, basic, elementary school math. Like percent off sales. It really frustrates me when I scan someone's items and then they get really angry.


"Hey! Those are supposed to be 50% off!" 
Yes. The tag says $24.99 and it rang up $12.49.
"I know! It's supposed to be 50% off!"
Yes. That's 50% off.
"No, it's not."
Yes. It actually is. That's half off.
"Oh. Ok then. I just want to make sure you're charging me correctly."

I also hate it when people get made because they can't use more than one coupon on an item. Now, some stores let you do that. I know. But some people get ridiculous.

"I have a 50% off coupon."
Ok. Thanks.
"I also have this 40% off competitor's coupon. I want to use them both on this one item. Plus my senior citizen discount and this other competitor's coupon."

or

"This is 50% off, right?"
Yes. The tag says $9.99 and it rang up $4.99.
"And I want to use this 20% off coupon on it, too."
Ok.
"So it's $3. Why is it ringing up $4?"
20% off of $4.99 is $3.99.
"No. 50% + 20% is 70% off. And 70% off of $9.99 is $3."
That's not how it works. You wouldn't expect to get it for free with a 50% coupon, right?
"That's just bait and switch. You guys are cheating people."

Well, first of all, that's not bait and switch. Bait and switch is Buy this fantastic thing for $1. Oh, we don't have that fantastic $1 thing. We only have this fantastic $50 thing. Buy that instead.

And, no one with the brain God gave a turnip would reasonably assume you could stack one 50% on another and get 100% off. Seriously. What if the sale was 60% and then you used a 50% coupon? Would the store then owe you money?

I feel like, if these people had paid a little more attention in grade school math class, I wouldn't have to deal with so much dumbassery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter