If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Patwoman Reviews the Indiana State Fair

First of all, if you are not here in Indianapolis, let me tell you what the weather is like… It is HOT AS BALLS.

Do you think that might affect fair attendance? Not according to the Indianapolis Star. But I drove past it on the way home from a Regional Staff Meeting on Wednesday, and it was a freaking ghost town. And then, yesterday after work, we decided to go to the fair. No traffic. None. No pedestrians to avoid hitting on FCPwy, no gridlock in front of the Pepsi Coliseum, and no parking out by the Indiana School for the Blind and walking two miles to the gate. Nope. Just drove right in and parked in the fair lot. Nobody was there.

Because it was hot.


But, that’s okay by me. You know I always go for the food, anyway. And look… there were actual empty tables this year! Of course I had to start off with the grilled corn. That way, I don’t feel so guilty. Corn is a vegetable, right? Healthy.


Followed that up with a corn dog. It has corn as half its name, so it’s at least half as healthy as the corn, the way I see it. Plus, I washed it down with a lemon shake up. That’s fruit. I didn’t go crazy on the fair food just yet, because well, it was hot and we decided to go inside some of the exhibit halls.


Curiously, the art exhibit (with all the oil paintings and photos and sculptures and such out in the open) did not have many Do Not Touch signs. So, that effectively deterred me from touching any of that. But then, I spotted this inlaid wood table…

Downstairs we looked at the decorated cakes. Here are some highlights:


I was a little weirded out to learn that these are not actually cakes, but Styrofoam blocks, covered in fondant. That seems a little like cheating, doesn’t it? Like those mannequins at the store, with their clothes pinned in back to make you think that outfit will look that good on you…

Back outside, it was hot. But we did see the daily parade pass. That was pretty cool. (Maybe you don’t think so, but I thought that giant remote control pig was worth the watch.)


Some food I chose not to eat:

Deep Fried Butter on a Stick (even though I’ve always said I totally would eat that) and Donut Burgers

And you know I don't eat pig




And you know, it’s state law that when you go to the State Fair, you must visit the animals. I like to make sure they all get petted.

You may have noticed I took more pictures at the fair than at Gencon. That may be because I was busy doing other stuff at Gencon, or because my phone battery died and I couldn’t take pictures. But I think it’s because the stuff at the fair is weirder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter