If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Sunday, July 03, 2011

To Felt Or Not To Felt

This clutch could very well have gone on a What Is It? post. Because I have no idea what it's made of. Usually I can tell wool vs acryllic, just by the way it feels. But for some reason, it just feels like it could go either way. And I knit this so long ago, the band is long gone and I don't remember, so no help there.

I found the end that was worked in, though, and snipped a little bit to test. first I tried to felt it a little with my fingers, but there just wasn't enough to do that.


But, remember all those crazy yarn snobs who insist you can't make baby blankets out of acryllic? Their concern is that wool only smokes, but acryllic melts. (I say, if your baby's on fire, you've got bigger fish to fry, so to speak.) But that should be a pretty decisive test, right? I held the piece in a pair of pliers and lit it with a fireplace lighter. It neither smoked, nor melted. It just turned to ash. What's that mean?

Sigh. You know my motto:

Okay, well I don't actually have a motto that pertains to this. But it's just yarn, right? So I threw it in the washer, thinking it will either felt, or it will get really, really clean.

And the verdict is...



It is wool. And here is the felted clutch.

Add a magnetic clasp, and a painted shell charm, and this is a pretty sweet little clutch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter