If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, January 02, 2012

You Can Love Your Robot, But Can You Love Your Robot?


Ah Robots. You know I love 'em. (In the traditional, platonic sense of the word.) But, you know, I've got nothing against someone loving their robot.

As long as it's consensual.

I was reading this article a few days ago. Basically, the author proposes that robots will have an increasingly important place in the social lives of some people: people will fall in love with, and marry robots.

Okay. Let's not get into a political thing here. But some people in this country are not even allowed to marry other people, so... I don't think the human/robot thing is going to happen any time soon.

The author also predicts that robot infidelity will lead to divorces. And okay. I've got to agree with that. I think if one person is more involved with a robot than their human partner that could lead to divorce. The same way a person who is more involved with work than their partner would. Or, the same way being involved with another person would.

Let's just not blame the robots, okay? They're going to have a tough enough time of it, as it is. Did no one see AI? They're going to have to fight for their rights to do anything.

Except die/kill. Apparently there are actual KillBots employed by our military (and I'm sure others') to... uh, kill the enemy. The Talon SWORDS were actually pulled from use (without ever killing anyone, I want to make clear) because they were not functioning the way they were supposed to be functioning.


I don't know exactly what that means. I mean, they are KillBots, right? So if they were not functioning the way they were supposed to be functioning, what were they doing? Knitting?

No, no, RoboKnitter! It's K4, P2, C4B, P2, K4, not K4, P2, C4F, P2, K4! Jeez! Where did you learn to knit? Ah, crap! We're gonna have to pull you out of Iraq if you can't cable a scarf any better than that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter