If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Not Knitting - Crocheted Snowflake

I've wanted to learn to crochet those delicate thread-crochet snowflakes that T's grandma, Oma, used to make. I have two of them that she had given us for our first Christmas tree and I love them. I wish I had more.

I put them out on our Christmas tree every year. About 6 years ago, I had to wash them and re-stiffen them with a commercial stiffener. They had yellowed a bit. But they came through the process nicely, I have to say.

I've never been able to crochet them, myself. Those steel hooks are just way too fine for my fat sausage-fingers to manage. I did knit several a few years back and I plan to knit some more of those. But I would like to try the crochet ornaments again.

My mom could do them. She was good at working with a steel hook. Good at crochet, all around. I don't know if she ever did any of those ornaments, though. I do have a basket that she crocheted and stiffened. Our flower girl actually carried that in our wedding. Beautiful work...

But I digress.

Since all my excursions into thread crochet have ended in frustration, (There may have been swearing and tears, I won't confirm or deny.) I decided to try a simpler snowflake at first. So I dug out a pattern I printed off and put in a folder back in 2005. (I know that because my printer labelled it "July 25, 2005.") A quick Ravelry search shows it is posted there and on Crochet Sal's website.

This was pretty easy to crochet. I definitely think a moderate beginner would be able to do this fairly easily. It uses a good sized hook (4.25 mm) and worsted weight yarn. And the result looks really sharp. I had no trouble determining what it is I'm supposed to be doing, and no trouble doing it. I loved this pattern.

That said, I think I probably should have used the hook called for in the pattern. I didn't have that size (G, American) in my knitting bag, so I used what I had right there, which was an E. I really didn't think there would be too much of a problem since I typically go down 2 sizes with knitting needles.

Apparently, I don't crochet as loose as I knit. So this turned out a little more tightly crocheted than I think it should have been. The lacy pattern isn't so evident and it curls a bit. I will definitely use the proper hook size when I do this again.

I think I will also try doing this with thinner guage yarn and smaller hooks. Maybe I can work my way down to thread crochet? Baby steps, Patwoman. Baby steps.

Also, I am thinking about going up a size or two and using an absorbent cotton yarn and making holiday coasters from this pattern. Wouldn't that be awesome?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter