If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Ohio And I Have A Love/Hate Relationship

I just got back from a trip to Ohio. Oh man, I'm glad to be home!

First, let me assure you, Ohio is lovely. Love the rolling hills, the trees, the wide open spaces. I've got no problem with that. And I actually go to Ohio pretty frequently, so you'd think Ohio and I would get along better than we do.

But no. As soon as I crossed the border into Ohio yesterday, the temperature dropped from 102 to 68 degrees. Like in a 10 mile stretch. And rain, lightning, and wind traveled along I-70 with me.

For hours.

About the time the rain stopped (or the front moved off my direct path), traffic stopped, too. I don't know why. Traffic stopped for about 10 miles. We were sitting there for an hour and a half. I tried to amuse myself with a guessing game:
- What percentage of these people will pee in a cup before traffic starts moving again?
- How many people are fervently wishing they did not eat so heavily at their last meal?
- How many people, like me, are going to be desperately late to where they are going?


The answer to all of those questions, by the way, is 100%.

I wouldn't be so annoyed by that situation, though, if:
1) I didn't have to pee so badly.
2) I wish I hadn't eaten that Arby's Chicken Bacon Swiss sandwich before leaving.
3) Stopping for and hour and a half made me desperately late.

I should also add:
4) This happens every single time I come to Ohio.
5) It happened again, about an hour down the road.

And, apparently, getting out of the car when you are on the interstate is a thing now. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bad idea to get out of the car and stand along the shoulder. It's an even worse idea to let your kids and your dogs get out and play along the shoulder and in the median. (They were not peeing outside, the kids and the dogs. They were playing, running around and such. Although, a couple of them did pee.)

This is why it's a bad idea, in case you were one of the people doing this. About every five minutes a car would get bored and tear out into the shoulder and then drive along the shoulder pretty fast until they got to a place they could cross the median into the traffic going the opposite direction. Not a good place to stand or let your kids and dogs play.

I should also mention that traffic going the opposite way was not stopped. Maybe it never occurred to these people, but sometimes cars leave the road and travel into the median. Where your kids are playing.

Anyway, by the time we were ready to leave Ohio, we'd been pushed so late that we decided we should probably get a room and sleep before driving home. But... remember the storm? It was a bigger storm than it appeared because apparently it did a lot of damage. And there was no power in six counties. No power. No hotels. So we decided to drive as long as we could. It was not until 4 am, when we still had hours to go before we were home, that we saw any hotels with lights on.

To make it up to me, however, Ohio did have a Joann's with a pretty nice clearance sale going on. I picked up 10 skeins of yarn (including some of the Red Heart Boutique Midnight that I told you about last week--in the blue Moonlight colorway)and a $3 bag of Werther's candy for $14.52.

So, Ohio and I parted as friends, yet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter