If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Shopping Trip: Goodwill

M and I went to Goodwill to look for 1) Incredible purse finds (if you want a designer purse for $3, take M with you); 2) Wool sweaters to recycle the yarn or felt; 3) Anything that happened to catch our eyes.

Most of what we saw fell into that category.

Goodwill is kind of a weird place. You can find some really cool stuff that you can't believe someone got rid of any more than you can believe the store is selling it so cheap or that you were the one that found it first.


Like this Santa mug. This made me smile to see it because we had two of these when I was a kid. My little bro and I used to love to drink from the Santa mugs at Christmastime. (And even though they were in the glass cabinet year round, we only drank from them during the holidays.)

But you're also likely to find some really awful stuff at Goodwill.

Like prom dresses and bridesmaids' dresses. I don't know why, but even though work dresses and sundresses and casual dresses are completely normal, most prom dresses and bridesmaids' dresses that end up at Goodwill can be categorized on a scale from WTF? to OMG! My eyes! My eyes!

Or you might find something like this... whatever this is. Now, if you look at this, you'll see that the head is actually taped on sideways. I assume they taped it on so it didn't get separated from the body.

I'm also going to assume that whoever taped it was just as weirded out by this as I was. I mean, look at it. Look where the spout is on this thing! Can you imagine going to a Christmas party and seeing this thing on the buffet table?

I don't know about you, but I'm not drinking anything out of that spout. Not my kind of party, if you know what I mean.




And what the hell is going on in this picture? I mean, I know it's a Rockwell plate. But I thought Norman Rockwell paintings were supposed to be wholesome and bland? This thing just screams pervert! Hey, Mr. Benson! Get away from those kids before I call the cops!





And what about this one? Don't tell me Norman Rockwell was "America's Artist." Not when he creates pictures with this kind of barely concealed suggestion. I mean, really. When I picked this thing up, it was obvious what kind of card game they were playing. Look at the sweater draped over the back of that chair in the foreground. Look at the old man's face. Look at the young woman's expression. Look how the younger man is laughing. Look how the old lady's amusement is tinged with just a little vindictiveness.


The caption was not on this plate, but I'm pretty sure it's something like "Four of a kind beats two pair, Gramps. You owe pants and a tie."




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter