If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Not Knitting: Playing With Nail Polish

My friend, The Internet, told me about this craft. Sadly, I didn't bookmark the site I was looking at, so I pretty much had to do this from memory.

It was pretty straightforward, though. Take a glass stone (the type you use in floral arrangements), paint a couple of different colors of nail polish on the underside, swirl them around, paint black nail polish over the back. Then, of course, you would attach a bale and use it as a pendant.





In this first one, I used blue, silver, and purple. I swirled it with a toothpick in the way you swirl cake batter. After it dried, I gave it a few coats of black. The black is to help add a mirror-like finish to the back.



Two things: 1) My color choices were too dark to be distinct and 2) My glass stone was just way too thick to really show off the colorwork. So I decided to try again.



I grabbed a smaller stone, lighter colors--silver, pink, gold. Swirled. Coated in black. This had a better effect, I think, but I think the stone is the problem again. This particular stone had kind of a shimmery effect, which I had hoped would add to the overall look of the stone. I'm not sure I accomplished that.

I'm still going to pendant-ize these stones, because I still think they're pretty cool. But I think I will experiment further with some other stones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter