If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

On Writing

I had a conversation with an acquaintance today and the subject of writing articles came up. He mentioned that I should write some articles on various topics. I just sort of laughed and told him that I actually have written many non-fiction articles and fiction stories for many different magazines and papers.

I gave him a few examples, of course, so he could see for himself. But then it occurred to me that these articles were old. The last article I had published in a magazine was about 2 years ago. Can I actually still call myself a writer?

True, I haven't had anything published in a while, but I have been writing. Of course, what I've been writing has been marketing materials and financial reports and this blog. I have to admit, especially with this blog, I cut myself a whole lot of slack when it comes to writing. I let myself make up words (awesometacular), I dangle participles, I switch perspective from first to third. Basically, I disregard grammar for style.

Whoa. Just like I disregard patterns for interest. I just realized. Ha!

And, I guess there are a couple of other things I'm writing. But they're bigger works that take a lot more thought and actual time than I have been giving them lately. So, I've kind of gone for the stuff that has quicker gratification.

Whoa. Again, just like knitting.

It's okay, though. I'm not really writing for the end result of getting work published. I'm really writing for the pleasure of writing. And because I enjoy the outcome.

Whoa. Knitting. I'm blowing my own mind, here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter