If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Christmas Ornament

Since I haven't made a Christmas Ornament in a while, I thought I'd whip one up. This ornament symbolizes all the knitting I do for Christmas gifts. You've probably seen similar ornaments. I'm not claiming to have invented the wheel, you know. But this is just how I do it.

Christmas Knitting Ornament

Need:
2 1/2" clear glass ornament
2 round toothpicks
2 small beads for ends
Tiny amount of sport weight yarn
8" of ribbon
Craft glue

Step one: Make your knitting needles. Cut about 1/3 of the length of each toothpick off. (Throw that part away.)

Glue a bead to the cut end of each toothpick.


Step two: Cast on 5 stitches and knit about 3/4" in stockinette stitch, using the toothpicks as your knitting needles.

JK. You can't knit with toothpicks. That's crazy. Use knitting needles and then just transfer the stitches to the toothpicks. Trim the tail and working yarn short and secure with a dot of craft glue.

Step three: Carefully cram insert the knitted piece into the clear ornament.


Step four: Embellish with ribbon.


I sent this one to my Shilo, my swap partner. I think I will make some more for myself now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter