If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

GenCon Crafting

One of our GenCon traditions is to do a couple of Craft Classes. (They call them SPA events. That's Spouse/Partner Activities, I think.) Anyway, with us doing a booth this year, and M at Police Academy, our time is pretty limited. But we did break away to do this Glass Stringer Class.

Basically, glass stringers (If you don't know. I didn't, until this class.) are long, thin strings of glass. You lay those strings on a piece of clear glass and cover it up with another piece of clear glass. Then the whole thing gets melted together. It's a pretty cool process. This class made Christmas trees--one big and one small.

As always, when working with glass, the rule is Safety First.

Of course, I can't see the damn stringers or the clear glass without my reading glasses, so I just wore those.

It's easy to see what these will look like when they're done. There's a lot less taking it on faith than there is in the dichroic pendants class we did last year. Here's some in progress pics.

And here are my two trees, all ready to send off to be fired.

Yeah, I know. But what I lack in creativity, I make up for with symmetry.

M was thinking outside the box, though. After I was done, I looked over at hers and wanted to smack my own forehead. Diagonal strings... multiple colors in the same row... Why didn't I think of that?


I can't wait to see how these turn out, after they're all melted together. I love my dichroic pendants and my glass frit pendants and bracelet that we've done in past years.

But, you know, the best thing about taking time to do this class is the company you keep during class. I had M and Bre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter