If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Starting To Feel The Pressure

The Advent Garland is great. I love it. I want to do an Advent Garland for every holiday, in fact. However, there is one glaring down side to it...

It is a very visual reminder of how close it is to Christmas. And how few gifts are finished.

I'm starting to feel the pressure now. A lot. I know. I know. I've gotten a lot of things finished in the last couple of days, and I'm glad of that. But there is still so much to do.

Like this scarf. This is my double-knit scarf. I finally gave up on trying to learn the invisible cast on and just cast on with both yarns at once. This is what it looks like:

So, not like it was kitchenered, but it looks fine. Certainly fine enough that, maybe once the pressure of the holidays is off, I can actually learn to do it. Hopefully I really can learn new tricks. I would hate to think I've started my downhill slide into senility already. (Although there are times I highly suspect it. Like last night when I dreamed I was a talking T-Rex riding a roller coaster. No, really.)

I'm gnashing my teeth a little over this scarf. This little bit represents about 2 hours knitting. Two hours! Jeez. That's not even 3 inches!

Just to show you what I mean... Look at where I'm at in the pattern. This is the tiniest little bit of a dire wolf. I still have to do the rest of the dire wolf, the words "Winter Is Coming," and another dire wolf. And that's all the farther I got in two hours?! Given my work schedule (which, right now is: all my waking moments), I'm not sure it's mathmatically possible to finish this for Christmas.

I still have massive amounts of baking, decorating, cleaning, shopping, and wrapping to do, too. I kind of wish now that I'd just knitted in front of T. He wouldn't have minded. I just feel bad about it not being a surprise like gifts are supposed to be.

Sigh. Oh well. Spilled milk. Hindsight. (Plus, I'm foolish enough to think I might still make it.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Cavocorax said...

I like how the bind on of your scarf looks! Mine is not held together as well as I like because I'm not doing the proper edging, but I'm hoping at the end I can just go through with both colours on a knitting needle and make a nice edge. At least I'm learning a lot this way.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Patwoman said...

It looks like you are doing just what I'm doing. Are you twisting the stitches on the sides?

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter