If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Mitten Knittin'

Ha ha! I'm so clever. I knew you'd enjoy that title.

So, I've got 1 1/2 skeins of the Bernat Softee left over. That's just enough for a pair of bulky knit mittens, like Kate Gilbert's Gifted. I like this Gifted pattern because 1) it's bulky yarn and big needles, so it knits super, super fast; 2) it's a pretty adaptable pattern that you can incorporate pattern stitches or colorwork into very easily, making it easy to knit a matched set; and 3) it's pretty much the same pattern I learned when I first learned to make mittens 33 years ago. Not the same, but it's pretty much the same construction.

I thought about picking up the seed stitch pattern from the cowl and carrying it over to the mittens, but I don't think it will work. A seed stitch cuff would be nice, but seed stitch doesn't tend to pull in like ribbing, and you really want your mitten cuffs to pull in to keep out the cold, right? So I ended up knitting these in plain 1X1 ribbing.

I thought about making the hand portion of the mitten in seed stitch, but that's kind of a weird texture over the palm. So, I just started knitting in plain stockinette. But then, I thought, "I wonder what the purl side would look like as the right side?"

And you know, it did look pretty good. It mimicked the seed stitch, not exactly, but enough to remind you of it. I really considered turning the mitten this way, right up until the thumb. But then, I decided I like the smooth side of the stockinette better, even if it doesn't match in any way except color.

Like I said, this knits fast. This is the end of the half skein. I might have enough after the second mitten to make a headband.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter