If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Robobees

When I was a kid, growing up in Darwin's Waiting Room, I played outside a lot. Most kids did. That was back in the days before cell phones and Xbox and The Internet. Jeez, we had a black and white TV at my house. (One TV!) Anyway, I played outside a lot, especially in the summertime. And, any time it was warm enough, I went barefoot.

Just on a side note, I prefer to be barefoot, even now. And, at the very least, sockless. That's why I don't knit and wear sock. I really don't like the feel of socks on my feet. I'm a heathen at heart.

Where was I? Oh yes. Barefoot all summer. And, as much as I loved it, that had its pitfalls. Like stepping in a yard bomb left by one of my cats. Or the time I damn near cut my big toe off, stepping on a large piece of broken glass in the creek. Or all that tar and asphalt that stuck to the bottom of my feet when you walked in the road.

Or, and this is my point here, any number of times I stepped on bees. One early childhood memory I have, in fact, involves sitting on a chimney block (It looked like this. Imagine it's on its side, though.)

and jumping down, right onto a bee with my bare foot. My mom used a home remedy of wet cigarette tobacco band-aided onto the sting to draw the venom out. That really works, btw. It's just probably not a good idea to put cigarette tobacco on children. But, you know, nobody knew that back then.

Even when my kids were little, 20 years ago, there were enough bees that they've stepped on a few. I rubbed antipersperant onto the area, which also works very well. Probably not a good idea to put antipersperant on kids' feet, either, but we didn't know that back then. Also, I'm pretty sure it's better than tobacco.

These day, though, you could flood your backyard with barefoot toddlers all summer long without the pressure of worrying about what hazardous chemical you were going to poison your kid with. And that is apparently a thing all over. It's called Colony Collapse Disorder and it basically means all the bees are dying off.

Now, no bees would mean carefree barefoot rambling. But it would also mean no pollination. No pollination means no food. I'm sure you know what that means.

But, never fear. There is a plan. Check out these robobees!

These little robots are being designed to pollinate! Yay! Saved by robots!

And you know what else? I'm not seeing any stingers on these things!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter