If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Prairie Wrap Blocking

This is a nice little lace shawlette that I did recently. It's the Prairie Wrap from the Red Heart site. It's acryllic yarn, Bernat Mosaic, but it's lace, so it definitely needs blocking. I actually thought about steam blocking it, but that would take me getting out the ironing board. And that thing is wedged in between the dryer and the wall in such a way that it's kind of a pain in the ass to get it out.

Plus, I hate to iron. So I decided to wet block it while watching TV.

Lesson 1: You can't watch TV. You can listen. That's about the best you can do while blocking. It takes your attention.

Lesson 2: Use a thimble. About 30 pins in, my fingertips were so sensitive I had to go find my thimble.

Lesson 3: Try not to be so interesting to cats. Otherwise, you get company.

Lesson 4: Don't knit any more lace. This is a pain in the ass.

Lesson 5: If I do knit lace again, suck it up and get the damn ironing board out. I could have had this thing blocked and the ironing board put away in the time it took me to pin this sucker.

Still, the pattern itself was nice. I think it could have been a little bigger, though, for my tastes. But I tried it on and it works nicely. So I'm good with it. (I'll post a cat-less picture once it's done blocking, don't worry.) The lace itself is pretty easy, and it's done in worsted weight, so this is definitely something that goes quickly, even with the crocheted edging.

But take it from me... steam block.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter