If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chili Pepper!

Here's how to make one for your cat:

Small amount of red yarn (a few yards?)
Small amount of green yarn (less)
Pinch of catnip (BTW, that is catnip in the picture. I grow my own. Really.)
2 dpns (I used #6, you'll probably want #8)



This is basically a tapered I-cord.

Cast on 2 stitches in red.
Work 2 rows of 2 st I-cord.

Knit into the front and back of next stitch, Knit 1
Now you are working a 3 stitch I-cord.
Work 2-3 rows of that.

Knit into the front and back of next stitch, Knit 2
This is a 4 stitch I-cord.
Work about an inch and a half of that.

Change to green yarn (Just tuck the ends into the inside of the I-cord)
At this point, you will want to stuff the catnip inside. If you don't want to use catnip, just put a little cotton, or even leave it empty. It's I-cord, so it holds its shape.

Safety note: If you don't want to lose fingers, do not knit with catnip if your cat is around. This stuff is like crack for cats. It takes only a minute or two to complete the toy at this point, but it will take even less time for a cat who's "hurtin' for it" to cause you grievous bodily injury.

Knit green I-cord for 2 rows.
Knit 2 together (2 stitches)
Knit 2 together (1 stitch)
Cut yarn and pull through remaining loop. Thread yarn through yarn needle and poke it through the length of the chili pepper to hide it. Do the same with the cast on tail.

Because the increases are all on one side, your chili pepper will have a slight curve to it. Realism!

You can do some different things with this pattern. I made one for my friend's blind cat, and added a bell to it for interest. This one has catnip, since it is for GabGab. Gracie, however is not that into catnip. When I make her toys, I add a cottonball with some peppermint extract on it. That has the same effect for her.

I suppose, if you were a vegetarian family, you might also knit this in orange and green and just tell your cat it's a carrot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter