If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

@#$%!@!!!! IT!!!

WTF? Can I not knit a hat any more? Is that skill completely beyond me? How long have I been working on this damn flame beanie?


The first time I knitted it, it had a very pronounced bell shape. Like a cloche. Which is fine if I were knitting that for me. Hey, I think an old fashioned cloche with punky flames would be cool. But since it's for T, I don't think he'd be pleased.

The problem was this 3-row garter stitch border on the bottom. I should've just ripped it out. But no. I kept thinking "It will probably get better."

In what fantasy world does that ever make sense?

So, I thought about ways I could fix it. I could slip some elastic in the bottom. I'm sure that would look fine.

Or I could put in a lifeline, snip a row, rip out the garter stitch and then knit down from there? Maybe a rib to pull it in at the bottom? It would be off half a stitch, but if it were right at the point the ribbing started, would anyone notice?

Fine. I just ripped the whole thing out and started over, this time, adding a couple rows of 2X2 ribbing instead of the garter stitch and the plain rows immediately above it.

Better, but I'm still not happy with it. It still looks too damn big. Did I gauge? Um...A little. And I was off a little. I didn't think it was that much. Lesson learned.

I did have a moment where I again thought, "I'm sure it will get better." But then I cursed and threw the thing down and fumed for about an hour realized I'd be happier just reknitting it.

So, here's my solution: Since I can't really go down much more in needle size (without changing the yarn weight) or else it will have the soft drape of a steel girder, I'm going to go up to a 4 st = 1" gauge and cast on one less chart repeat. That will give me a 22" circumference, which should fit T nicely.

On the up side, I'm getting pretty good at working this chart, after doing it so many times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter