If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Boyfriend Sweater Curse

So I'm looking through my UFO pile today, thinking "I think I'll finish something today."

Oh, calm down. I was just thinking it. It's not like I was actually going to do it.

So I'm looking through and I come across Chaos. Ah, Chaos. My bete noir. Front and back done. Both sleeves cast onto one needle and halfway done. Why not finish? It's like I have this crazy finishing phobia when it comes to this sweater. IDK. Maybe it's related to the Boyfriend Sweater Curse.

But, Gentle Reader, let me say that I do not believe in the Boyfriend Sweater Curse. Here's why:

I learned to knit way back when T and I were just dating. Of course, the very first thing I knitted was a scarf for him. (Which he still wears, btw.) The second thing was a pair of mittens for me.


But the third thing... I wanted something really impressive. You see? I wanted to give something out-of-the-ordinary to this out-of-the-ordinary boy. So I found the most complicated sweater pattern I could find. One that no one else in the world could knit for him.

It should be noted at this point that I had only been knitting for a couple of
weeks. And I didn't really understand things like guage, or swatching, or reading patterns. I knew Knit, Purl, KFB, K2tog. Everything else I learned as I went.

What's that? Purl through the back loops? Knit in the row below? Slip to cable needle? (What the heck is a cable needle?) And my favorite, S1K1 PSSO. (Mainly because of how I was pronouncing that for a few years.)

But I did learn. And I did finish. Eventually. And he still has it, though he can't wear it any more. It lives on a shelf in our closet, reminding us of how special T is. Of how determined I was. Of how we are not governed by superstition, but by love, so no "curse" can touch us.


And, of course, of how I have still not finished Chaos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter