If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Baby Needs A Furry Blankie

Okay. She's not a baby. She'll be 18 in about a week and a half, actually. She'd probably be über pissed if she found out I called her my baby, too.

Luckily for me, she doesn't find my knitting interesting enough to read about it online.

So, here's what I did. I had all these novelty-type yarns and I was a little burned out on doing scarves. And, I have all these UFOs sitting around, so I wanted to actually finish something. And, I have these gigantor Speed Stix that are practically impossible to get your hand around because they're size 50! I don't know why I love 'em so much!

You would think the stitches would be so large that the afghan would be somewhat holey. But, you're using 4 strands of yarn, and the furry ones kinda close up those holes.
And, you'd think, with 4 strands of yarn, this thing would be so heavy you wouldn't want to cover up with it.

But, you'd be wrong. It's actually pretty fluffy and cuddly. And it only took me an evening to knit it.'

Here's my "pattern." (Because you can't really call a stockingette stitch afghan a pattern, can you?)

I used:

2 skeins Yarn Bee Luscious in Wild Plum
2 skeins Yarn Bee Playful in Waltz Blue Solid
4 skeins Moda Dea Zing in Midnight
5 skeins Lion Brand Fancy Fur in Bold Black
3 skeins Lion Brand Fancy Fur in Stained Glass Black

I Cast On 39 stitches, using Size 50 needles and a backwards loop cast on. (You can't really see stitch definition with so much fur going on.)

Then I knitted 6 rows in Garter Stitch.
Then I kept a 3 stitch Garter Stitch border around the Stockingette Stitch body until I was almost out of yarn.
Then 6 more rows in Garter Stitch and Cast Off.

I used 2 different colors of Fancy Fur in a striped pattern (as I ran out of one, I attached the other). But, I don't know that you can really see that.

This turns out to be about the size of the top of a twin bed. And, as I've said, very cuddly and soft. And, so quick you could do one in a few hours.



Yay for chubbies! Needles, that is. What were you thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter