If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Glovetacular!

Yeah, that's what I do when I can't think of a clever title for a new post. I debated with "Give Me A Hand" and "I've Got To Hand It To You" and I completely discarded "Hand Job" for obvious reasons. So that leaves us with "Glovetacular," which I am going to force into your lexicon by my repeated use.

That's what you get for your smartass comments of "Glovetacular is not a word, Patwoman."

Anyway, check out these great glovetacular gloves.
Pattern is from Creative Knitting, January 2008. Used Bernat Berella 4 in Shabby Chic Ombre. Almost dead-on one skein. (Maybe 10 yards left after both gloves.)

I'll admit, I was a little intimidated at first. I'd never done gloves for a number of reasons...8 of them. (The fingers. Jeez. Do I have to spell it out for you?)

That just seemed like it would be some major ass pain. DPNs and a small number of stitches? OMG, why don't we just do it in non-frogable mohair and turn a heel somewhere on it, too? Then it will truly be my version of hell.

But it turned out to be not a thing. Pretty awesome glovetacular, actually, once you wrap your mind around the difference between your right hand and your left hand. The fingers end up being only about 1 1/2 inches long, so not much time is spent there, anyway.

The really cool glovetacular thing about these gloves are the flip-top mittens. Those are knitted right on as you go, so no seaming (which would automatically send these to the UFO pile, right?).

This yarn made a lovely glovetacular almost-striped pattern as it knit. I think these would be equally pretty glovetacular in Noro or in JoAnn's Debbie Mumm Traditions yarn, which (I will probably be stoned for saying) I think is just as pretty glovetacular as Noro.

These will be a great glovetacular Christmas present for M, along with matching scarf and hat. Of course, I've knit M several fingerless gloves (w/o fingers, naturally), but she says those do not really suit her needs, since it is her fingers that get cold. She suggested convertible gloves.

I suggested knitting separate little tubes for each finger... kind of gloveless fingers... but that's a story for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter