If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Knit 4 Animal Freedom

Sometimes, something in the news will strike me as sad, funny, and heartwarming all at the same time. (I call that sad fartwarming, if you will.) It’s the kind of thing that gives one a good feeling inside. And makes you giggle like you've had a head injury.

Such was the case when I read this story, about a group of British knitters who provide hand-knitted sweaters for… wait for it… chickens. That’s the funny part. Imagining chickens in sweaters. Oh, never mind. You don’t even have to imagine it. Here are some pictures.


The part that's not funny is that these chickens need the sweaters, because they are bald. They've been rescued from egg farms, where they were crammed into cages and basically just forced to produce eggs until they die. So, most of them have lost a lot of feathers.

Full disclosure: I eat eggs. In fact, I just put 4 of them into 2 loaves of pumpkin bread for Christmas food gifts. I do not intend to give up eating eggs any time soon. Or chicken, for that matter.

But, it pains me to think of any animal being mistreated. Why is it okay to do this? Seems there has to be some solution that produces eggs without torturing the chicken?

Just thinking.

1 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

I love the chicken sweaters! I totally agree with you. It's horrible the way the chickens are treated, and yes I do eat eggs. The thing is that chicken farms don't need to be torturous, people who do that are just bad people. I had a friend years ago who had a chicken farm and her chickens were treated well and they were happy.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter