If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Patwoman's Job Hunting Tips

I'm just going to give you one tip this month, but it's an important one. In fact, I'm going to go so far as to say it's the most important tip you could ever get for your job hunt:

FOLLOW DIRECTIONS

Sure, that seems like it would be an easy thing to do. I can hear you scoff. "Really, Patwoman. Don't you think you're oversimplifying?" Well no, scoffer. I don't.


Okay, yes. I am looking for employees who stand out. I want employees who distinguish themselves. But let's be clear--I want them to be memorable for positive reasons. You want to be memorable for positive reasons. Hey, I like to occasionally vandalize a sign or two buck the system as much as the next person, but the time for that is later, when you already have the job. When you are looking for a job, you want to demonstrate a certain amount of conformity. It shows you can follow directions and obey the established rules.

Take, for example this conversation I had with a candidate who was supposed to take a company-mandated test at another location:

"Patwoman, I don't know the address of where I'm supposed to go."

"It's 5603 Raymond Street."

"Oh wow. I'm nowhere near that."

"Do you have the map I emailed you? Or the directions?"

"No. I didn't print it. I didn't even read it. I just deleted it."

"What? I told you on the phone yesterday I was sending the email and you should print it because it had a map. And remember I told you the address then. Didn't you at least write it down? Were you just hoping to remember it?"

"No, man. I can't remember stuff."


This conversation went on, in the same vein for a bit. Needless to say, I didn't hire this guy. See what not following directions gets you?

Okay, I've ranted a little here, but it's my blog the advice is sound. Sure, everyone has their own personality--that's actually the best part of my job, talking with so many different people. But at work, everyone has to play by the rules. Yes, be creative. But be smart about how that creativity manifests itself.

And if I send you an email with directions and a map... don't delete it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter