If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Stupid Questions People Ask

Maybe I should say Rude Questions People Ask, instead. Have you noticed that most people these days have no manners? I am always amazed at some of the questions people feel free to ask me.

Like today, someone asked "Your daughter has blonde hair, but you have red hair and your husband has brown hair. Is she adopted?" I just laughed and shook my head.(In case you are wondering, the answer is... M is a natural blonde. T & I were both blonde in our youth. And I am not a natural redhead.)

A few days ago, someone asked me how much I weighed. Not "I think we're about the same size, so what size t-shirt do you wear so I can buy that size from your store." (Which is what she really meant to ask.)

I've been asked if my fingernails are real. They are. That's not offensive, it's just not something I think you should ask someone you don't know. Same with questions about religion or age. I'm not really offended, it just doesn't seem like a particularly good conversation starter.

Likewise, I am not particularly interested in other people's sex lives. I mean, it's one thing if you have a good friend who says "This happened and I'm not sure how I should handle it." But I really don't want to hear "I heard this person slept with that person's boyfriend" or "They don't do it any more" or anything at all to do with others' sexual orientation. I just don't care. And it's none of my business. Or yours.

These are not just young people asking these questions. If it were, I'd blame it on FaceBook for training them to share their most intimate details with everyone and to expect everyone to share theirs with them.

Actually, I think that would make a very interesting study of society, how social media has made no subject too personal. (And, as an example, take my FB friend who shares details about shitting her pants at work, her sex life, and her drunken ramblings.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter