If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Shopping Trip: Colorblind

As I've said many times in the past, the Dollar Store is a wondrous place, where you are likely to find anything. The downside to that is that you are likely to find anything. For example, I found Avengers Baby Wipes on the shelf.

Now, let's think about that one for a second. And don't even consider that the babies who would be using this product are not even going to care about whose picture is on the package. (Unless they are big comic fans. I don't know many babies who are, but I suppose there's always the possibility.) No. My question is, did Marvel really give licensing permission for that? Was whatever percentage of estimated sales--from a Dollar Store product--worth dirtying (pun intended) your heroes' images?



"Wipe my ass, incredible hulk!"

I think sometimes these products are produced elsewhere in the world, where maybe the American culture is not understood. You can lose a lot in the subtleties if you don't have a frame of reference.



However, I am pretty sure kids color all over the world. Or draw. Or paint. Some kind of art, at least. So I'm really dumbfounded by this:

M: What kind of cruel bastard makes a coloring book with black and white dogs?

Patwoman: Well, sure, you would only use one crayon for the dogs, but there could be other things in the picture to color, right? Like, maybe the dogs go to the park?

M: Or maybe they get stuck in a clear glass cookie jar?
Patwoman: You get to use the brown crayon for the cookies, at least.

M: Have you noticed the black spots are already colored in?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter