If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Why Do People Hate On Seth MacFarlane?

I'm reading so much about how awful Seth was (I call him by his first name. That's just the nature of our relationship.) as host of the Oscars. I can't possibly believe he was that bad--especially based on the clips I saw, which were pretty entertaining.

I say 'the clips I saw' because I didn't actually watch the Oscars. I never do. I feel like I can get all the information I need about who won from the internet even as it happens, if I were in that urgent of a need. As it is, I'm okay with waiting until the morning after to read the complete list online. It saves about 3 hours of my time.

I did watch Seth's opening song online, when people were making a big fuss about it. Frankly, I don't find it offensive in the least. The stars whose reactions were shown were filmed beforehand, so they knew the song and were okay with it. Besides, I think the critics kind of missed the point.

Seth was not being sexist and immature so much as he was making a statement about the nature of the business. Female nudity is so expected in film that--even though all those actresses are top of their field and all of those movies are very good movies--the filmmakers, producers, and audience still had to have their pound of flesh (or whatever naked boobs weigh) in order to feel it was good.

I think it's a very thoughtful satire. Seth does this kind of pop culture exposure very well. He also does the kind of fart-joke-seventh-grade-locker-room-humor really well, too. The problem is, sometimes people can't tell the difference. Seriously, if the criticism is that he's juvenile, why is it such a crime when he makes a sophisticated joke?

No wonder he only tried to be smart once and then just opted out for the same kind of lame topical jokes everyone else does for the rest of the show. And you know what--that Chris Brown/Rihanna joke? That joke could've easily come from Conan, or Jon Stewart, or Dave, or even Jay Leno. (If fact, I'll bet you can find at least two similar jokes from each of those guy's show monologues.)

And, if it had, people would just clutch their pearls and say "Oh! That Conan is such a scamp!" or "Jay is so edgy!" But, because it's Seth, it's somehow more offensive. I don't get it.

Yeah, I like Seth. I think he's funny. Not all the time, not every joke, but yeah. I think he's funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter