If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy Earth Day!

April, of course, is Earth Month.

I don't know if it is or not. But Earth Day is today, so I've been going with a whole Earth Month theme this month. I've been working with scrap yarn for a lot of things--or, as I like to call it--reducing my impact.

No, that's not true. I don't call it that at all.

Anyway, I do try to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle as much as possible. My composter is still cooking yard trash and egg shells and coffee grounds away for use in my garden. (Although, I think what it really does is provide a home for spiders.) And you know that I am a big believer in the power of Goodwill shopping.

You'll see evidence of that in this project. It's my Earth Day Door Mat, made from plarn. The plarn in this case is from plastic shopping bags. You can use whatever colors you want. I used the big green Goodwill bags, some big blue Best Buy bags, a pink Deb bag, some white Target bags, some tan Kroger bags, and some orange Goodwill bags. I cut them all into 3/4" strips and rolled them into balls for knitting.

Knitting with plarn is a weird tactile experience. It doesn't flow over your fingers in the same way yarn does--it acts a little more like ribbon--but it's not an unpleasant feeling. It's slick and smooth. It's also very noisy. This is probably not a project for doing in front of the television. (At least, not if other people are trying to watch TV. Don't be rude.)

It's apparently a tactile experience for cats, too. Hey, this plarn is a little wet. Have you been licking plastic again?

What? Me? No. Why would you say that?

I haven't finished this doormat yet.I'm about halfway there, though. Stay tuned and I will post pix of the finished mat. I'll also post my graph, in case you'd like to do a little Earth Day celebrating, yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter