If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Happy New Year!

And now, for the obligatory goal setting for the year.

As you know, I never make resolutions. But I do think long and hard about what I hope to accomplish. I look at this way: Everyone makes resolutions--lose weight, get healthy, save money, etc. But those things fail because there is no plan behind it.

Goal setting is much different. Goal setting describes not only the outcome you wish to achieve, but the steps you will take to get to that outcome. I think goal setting tends to work better because it's specific and trackable. So, even though I might say "I resolve to scale back on some of the clutter," that's not specific or trackable.

But that really is one of my goals.

1) I want to scale back on some of the clutter by cleaning out my clothes closet and getting rid of stuff I haven't worn in a year or can't/won't wear any more (like that blue blouse with the flutter sleeves that I liked so much in the store but absolutely hate now and have never worn) and organizing the clothes by type so they are easier to find.

2) I have always believed that the mind was a part of the body that needs to be exercised and regularly. It needs the input of ideas that inspire, entertain, challenge, provoke, frighten, touch, warm, and confuse it, in order to maintain its sharpness and stave off decay. As you know, it is one of my worst fears to lose my sensibilities like I saw my dad doing in later years. In order to excercise my brain, I want to read a book every month.

That seems like such a long time to read just one book, doesn't it? When I was young and had no other responsibilities, I used to read almost a book a day. Of course, no one has that kind of time now, especially not me. But I think I can manage a book a month. I got a couple of really good books for Christmas and my poor Kindle has been crying for attention, too.

Hand-in-hand with reading, I think writing really helps the brain. I've been worried lately because, these last 5 years or so, I find myself using the same words to describe things, the same phrases. Maybe it's just laziness. I recently read that an average adult's vocabulary is about 20,000 words. That seems extremely low to me. I'm not trying to be egotistical, but I'm very certain my vocabulary is much, much higher than that. Maybe I'm not using all my words because it's just easier not to?

3) I want to make sure my brain is adequately cross-trained by writing at least 500 words a week. That's not a whole lot--500 words is about a page--but it is definitely an achievable goal. I'm not going to be rigid about what I write, because creativity and inspiration is part of the goal here. But I am going to exclude this blog from that 500 word total. This blog is not so much writing, as it is conversation.

4) And, like the rest of America, I plan to make some healthier choices in my lifestyle this year. Now, I know that is not specific, but I'm not entirely sure of what I want and don't want to do. I will tell you right now, I don't plan to do everything at once. And I don't plan to go crazy with diet and exercise.

But, I did find out over Christmas that both of my brothers are suffering from high blood pressure (which I also have). Both of them had been in the hospital recently (without me even knowing about it, since they live a couple hours away) for some pretty serious health issues. My older brother is struggling with diabetes-related problems--kidney failure, liver failure, blindness, and as he likes to call it, "things just falling apart." And, much as it pains me to say, none of us are getting any younger, right?

So, I plan to make some changes, some different choices, when/how it makes sense to do so. For example, this week, I'm drinking more water and less Coke. No specific amount, but you know, when I'm just thirsty and don't necessarily want a Coke, I'm having water. I'm also swearing off the midnight Steak 'N' Shake run, which I've been doing a lot lately, just because it's the only place open when I get off work and I'm too tired to cook anything when I get home.

I'll keep you updated on my progress on these things--if for no other reason than that I plan to continue to blog every day in 2014, since daily blogging went so well in 2013.

What are your goals this year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter