If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Rockin' It!

This is so awesome. Students of University of Art and Design Lausanne, Damien Ludi and Colin Peillex, created this rocking chair that knits. It has a mechanized loom knitter on top (like the knitting machine my cousins had to knit clothes for their Barbies that I was so jealous of) and the mechanism is turned by the rocking of the chair. So, as you are rocking, you're knitting a tube of fabric. They show the finished product as a hat, but of course you can do all kinds of stuff with loom knititng.

I have got to get me one of these!

I would take this a step further though. Like, right behind this rocker, put another rocker that rocks in tandem with this one. I'm envisioning rocking a child in a crib in this second segment, but since it is powered by the person rocking Chair #1, you could also put a closed vat with an ice cream mixer in it. It would also have a knitter (perhaps a different size or color) on top of it.

You could even attach a third chair, if you were so inclined. I'm pretty sure one person could power 3 chairs, at least once the motion got started. And maybe that chair would have some other use, too. Like it also cranked the paddle on a washing machine. So there, one person could have the whole house taken care of--child rocked, ice cream made, clothes washed, and hats and tube socks knitted--while they were just rocking in the chair.

Would it be too much to also be knitting while you rocked?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter