If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, January 08, 2015

Planning Stages

Not sure if I shared with you my plans for R's wedding? As the mother of the groom, I don't have a lot to do. (Or, I don't know. They haven't given me a lot to do at any rate.) So I am planning to make a lace tablecloth for their wedding present. That's a nice thing to start off with, I think, something kind of fancy that will hopefully be around after I'm gone. I have some quilts that my grandmothers, T's grandma, and that my mom made that I like having for that reason.

Of course, I haven't knit a lace tablecloth in over 30 years. But, that one was a pretty intricate one and I managed just fine, especially considering I hadn't been knitting very long. And I've done lace on a large guage yarn. Or on a smaller scale--ornaments, a scarf, etc. So I should't have any problems with it.

Back then, it took me months to knit, but I had no expectation of how long it would take. I also didn't know lace was supposed to be difficult, so I just knit with no preconceptions. (Wouldn't that be nice if you could do that in all things? Kind of like that sappy thing you see on Pinterest posts: What would you try if you knew you couldn't fail? The problem is, when you get older, you start to realize how hard most things will be and how much they will cost/hurt. That's why we don't try things.)

But, back to the tablecloth... I'm thinking three months is enough to get it done. That's my plan, at least. If it's sooner, great. And if it looks like I won't finish it before the wedding...

Well then. Perhaps they would enjoy a large doily?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter