If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, March 13, 2015

FO: Ringbearer Pillow

Cue fanfare.

Ta-DA! Finished the Ringbearer Pillow for R and Bre's wedding. And I have 49 days to spare! Whoo-hoo!

So, here are the stats on this pillow. I used Ring Bearer Pillow pattern by Susan Dirk. It's from the 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders book, which is a great book when you are looking to do something special but not something big. I knit this using Loops & Threads Woolike in White. It took very little yarn to do this. It is, after all, an 8 inch square. But I didn't meaure or weigh the skein.

I went down two sizes on needles, to a #3, because of my loose guage. Worked perfectly. This blocked out to exactly the right size. The beads are clear #8 seed beads. I had bought some opalescent cylinder beads too, but when I went to string them, I couldn't fit the needle through the hole. So, I used 7 seed beads in a row instead of seed-cylinder-seed-cylinder-seed-cylinder-seed. I actually like it better this way. The pattern calls for 24 charms and I couldn't really tell what kind of charms they were, with my bad eyes. I used these little silver balls, with a textured surface. Again, good call. These look perfect. I reused the ribbon topper from the original, since it came off in one piece and still looked great. (It was literally glued to the satin pillow. Yikes!)

Despite it being lace, this actually didn't take long to knit. I think the reason it took me so long is that I had so much time to knit it. I had so long that I could wait for the yarn to go on sale. I could wait until I had a coupon for the beads. I could wait to buy the beads and the pillow until I needed to use them. So, you know how it goes: Why put off tomorrow what you can put off today?

If you have a desire to knit a ringbearer pillow, by all means, go for it. Don't let me be the example of how long it takes to knit. I'm one of those people that need the deadline to motivate us.

Hm. I've got less than 50 days to knit a lace tablecloth for a wedding present. Is that motivation enough?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter