If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

12 Months Of Scarves: Number 3

This month's scarf is a beaded scarf. I used a blue worsted yarn with some white pony beads to make a fun little scarf with a heart at each end.

The beads are pretty easy to add in--pony beads have a hole wide enough to thread worsted weight yarn through with no trouble at all. And I knit the scarf using #8 needles, so it went pretty quickly. (Although, you will probably want to use #6s, since my gauge tends to be pretty loose.)

The main thing is to thread all the beads on first, so you can just pull them up as you go. Conversely, if you don't like having a bunch of beads hanging on your yarn for the length of a scarf, just thread half of them on. Then, when you are closer to the end of the scarf, thread the second half onto a second skein of yarn. I threaded all of mine at the beginning. It wasn't a big deal for me since the pony beads move very smoothly over the yarn, with almost no resistance.

This scarf is mostly stockinette over the body, with a seed stitch border around the edges.  Still, it doesn't lay as flat as it possibly could, probably because of the weight of the beads. But I blocked it (even though it's acryllic, it benefits from blocking) and it looks pretty good.

Funny thing, after I finished knitting this, I realized maybe a heart would look better on a pink or red scarf. But I hadn't even thought of that as I knit this. I like blue. It's my favorite color and I naturally gravitated toward it.

I'll have the pattern link in the sidebar soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter