If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Oh Baby!


Here is baby Allison, my new niece, born September 10. She's sleeping.

Aaaaawwwww!

Don'tcha just love a sleeping baby? Me, I'm not too crazy about the loud, squalling babies. It kind of hurts my feelings when you pick a baby up and they scream like it's some kind of hell to be in your arms. But how can you not love a sleeping, peaceful baby?

Aaaaawwwww!

My bro and sis-in-law did a good job. And they even had the baby on my dad's birthday. (Remember, he passed away earlier this year.) I think he'd be pleased by that.

And Aunt Patwoman always comes to visit bearing gifts:

You knew it would be a baby sweater. Don't act so surprised.

So this is Holly's Jacket (by Jacki Kelly) with a crapload of mods. First, I like black. But you've got to break it up a little on babies. So I added the pink trim, in seed stitch.

Ruffles on the bottom are as written, but I added another increase row to the sleeve ruffles to really... uh... ruffle them. Speaking of sleeves, I just picked up the sleeve stitches and knit down in the round because, you know, I hate to seam. Oh, and I knit them straight, with no decreases and they turned out looking a little like bell sleeves.

I added the skull insignia, just for fun. That was actually the hardest part--just because I wasn't satisfied with the results. First, I did it in duplicate stitch, but that just didn't look right. (Probably because Patwoman needs new glasses and can't distinguish between the black stitches, even with an Ott light.)


Then, I tried cross stitch. But I wasn't happy with that, either. It gave it a too primitive look. I finally settled on basic satin stitch embroidery. And I was pretty pleased with the result.

One last mod: I crocheted (yes, I can crochet) a chain closure.

I only used about half a skein of Bernat Satin in Ebony and maybe an ounce of Lion Brand Baby Soft in Bubblegum. Size 5 needles.

Oh, and I modified the # of stitches cast on and the number of rows to the armholes and overall length, because the original pattern was for a size 1 year. This, I'm guessing is a 3-6 month size.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter