If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, May 02, 2011

What Is It?

What is this? Are you curious?

My--uh, okay. My cat is not curious. Nobody is curious about this.

But I wanted to dig this out and show it to you anyway. For multiple reasons. The first is that my mom made this for me about mumble mumble years ago, when I was about six or so.

It's a crocheted cape made from a bunch of granny squares and lined with yellow satin. I actually remember when she made this. It was just before Easter and I ended up wearing it for the first time with my Easter ensemble. (White gloves. I effin love white gloves to this day.)

She was a very fast crocheter and made this pretty quickly. Or at least, it seemed quick to me. She could have been working on it all night, as far as I know. My mom was one of those people that slept about 4 hours a night and had more energy than others who slept a full 8.

I have not inherited this trait.


This cape is wool and super warm, btw. (It's actually felted a little bit in places)
I kept this cape as I got older, thinking I would pass it down to my daughter, etc. I don't know. I'm not usually sentimental like that.

But, it must be sentimentality, because this cape has definitely seen some better days. I mentioned the felting. I guess I should mention this used to be cream and yellow. (Not the yellow and yellow-ish it is now.) Still, I like it. And I will be keeping it.

The second reason I wanted to show this to you was because, as I mentioned before the virus hit and I had to go offline, I am an empty nester now. And I've been thinking about my mom, trying to think whether she felt as depressed about it as I do.

No.The answer is no. I was the third child. I think her thoughts were more like. "Whew! One more to go!"

But I am a little depressed about it. And I really haven't knitted anything in a couple of weeks. So I didn't have anything new for "What Is It?" Day.

And, lastly, I am only back online today, and with a workaround solution, not a fix. So I'm not sure what I can actually do, blogwise.

Ah, the excitement of my everyday life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter