If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday UFO (GenCon Edition)

One of the things GenCon has done for the last few years is offer events geared toward the non-gaming spouses and partners of gamers. Of course, we all know that gamers are creative people by definition, so these programs are pretty popular with us, too.

I did one seminar this year--fused dichroic glass (which I will show you next week, when mine are back from the kiln). But there were other classes I wanted to take and just didn't have time. Like chain mail. I want to do chain mail. And wire work. That looks like a lot of fun. And leather stamping... But I digress.

I did stop into the open crafting area, which was great, I must say. I had never been to the open crafting area, mainly because I usually do a lot of gaming at this con. So I was pleasantly surprised. A full-sized sewing machine, a couple of handheld sewing machines, a Cricuit, embossers, scrapbook papers, stampts, pens, inks, charms, glitter, buttons, zippers, paints, embroidery floss, fabric, beads, findings, glue, yarn, hooks, needles, cross stitch kits, and patterns. They even had several of those potholder looms we all used to have. And all materials were free to use. Free to take.

Fantastic!

The lady who organizes this (I'm told) goes to garage sales, auctions, and estate sales and buys up anything remotely crafty. So naturually, you won't find a huge stash of Noro Silk Garden--it's pretty much all acryllic--but there's a variety, and it's there just to provide a place for crafters to hang out.

So I grabbed some needles and some of this boucle yarn (No label, but I know it's TLC Amore.) and just started knitting. Very nice, since I was starting to have some withdrawal pains from not knitting over the last few days. (Seriously. People were starting to worry. "Patwoman, why are your hands twitching?")

I also got the opportunity to teach Sharon, my future daughter-in-law, how to knit. Yes. Another one brought over to the dark side. Excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter