If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gencon Recap Part 2

Whenever I tell normal people I'm going to Gencon, they always ask "Oh, are you going to dress up?" As if the idea of me dressing up would be so ridiculously out of character. I find it so funny that so many people think I'm so serious. (I so used the word so so many times in that so-so sentence.) Honestly, I don't know where people get the idea that I'm Serious Sally.




But no, I don't dress up for Gencon. Mainly because I do, actually, do some serious talking in addition to the gaming. And really, how would it be for me to be dressed as Princess Peach or Cheetara or Kaleigh the Kilt Inspector while I was talking to a publisher or a distributor? Talk about surreal.



I do have costumes, mind you. I wear them during the LARPs we play or run. I have, in the past, been a nurse, a Professor of Antiquities, an old gypsy woman, a water sprite, a giant wurm, and a 9 foot Aztec god of Death. I just don't wear them to wander around the con or go to business meetings.

So, maybe I am serious. A little at least.

I do admit that sometimes I get very wrapped up in what I'm doing, to the point where I'm fairly tuned out to the rest of the world. I'd like to think that comes from my early broadcast training--learning to ignore the other voices coming through the headset in order to concentrate on what I'm saying.

T says I'm quite oblivious to what's going on around me. I don't think I'd go so far as to say oblivious. That seems as ill-fitting a word for me as serious. I mean, sure, sometimes I'll get wrapped up in something and not hear someone say my name, or not notice that the line has moved forward, or whatever.

But I'd hardly call that oblivious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter